Deacon Job Description
The main responsibility of the Board of Deacons collectively, and each deacon individually, is to minister to those who are in need, to the sick, to the friendless, and to any who may be in distress. They shall assume such other duties as may be delegated to them from time to time by Session. The records of the Board of Deacons will be submitted to the Session monthly.
The Board of Deacons as ordained leadership is called to serve the church. As church leaders, Deacons are expected to:
- Keep in touch with their assigned families to determine any needs or concerns, to celebrate joys, to receive suggestions for improvements in the church and to promote goodwill.
- Attend Sunday services regularly.
- Attend and participate in the month Board of Deacons meeting.
- Serve at least ten Sundays a year as Deacon on duty at Sunday worship services and as needed at other special services.
- Attend the Annual Leadership Planning meeting.
- Have one deacon representative in attendance at each Session meeting.
- Send cards to ill, hospitalized and shut-in members.
- Send remembrance cards upon request to nonmembers with concerns.
- Conduct notification by phone chain of deaths and funerals and concerns among our Deacon families.
- Contact secretary to call Helping Hands:
a. If there is a death where a meal may be needed after the funeral
b. If a meal would be appropriate to be taken to the family of a member hospitalized (illness, birth, etc.).
- Make secretary aware of any births or deaths in the congregation for which family would like a "bud vase" commemoration. (Secretary orders rose bud vase for communion table: red rose for birth: white rose for death).
|Meet Your Deacon - October 16, 2016|